Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Monday, January 16, 2017

The Perfect Time to "X" - According to Weatherunderground

A week ago, I posted about the RunKeeper app and how wonderful it is.  You can track all kinds of activities (not just running), and set it up to sync to your SparkPeople fitness tracker.

I've got another app I used for many years before they recently came out with a neat feature that helps me with daily fitness planning.

WeatherUnderground now has "Smart Forecasts."  This will show you what times of day are perfect for your outdoor activity, based on parameters set by you.

You can choose from running, landscape photography, kite flying, biking, hiking, wildflower photography, walking, fishing, gardening, sailing, surfing, "ice possible" (I guess if you like sledding or skiing?), and star gazing.  You can have multiple smart forecasts, so you're not limited to choosing one activity.

When setting your parameters, you tell the WeatherUnderground app what conditions you're looking for.  You choose two settings for each weather condition - "acceptable" and "ideal" ranges.  Primary conditions include:  temperature, wind speed, chance of precipitation, and humidity.  Other conditions you can add include:  "feels like" (because wind and humidity affect what the outdoor temp actually feels like), wind direction, pressure, mugginess, rain intensity, snow intensity, dewpoint, cloud cover, and UV index.

One of the first things I do every morning is check the daily weather forecast (and my Smart Forecast) on my WeatherUnderground app.  It has a little bar graph that shows which times of day will be best for me to plan my run or walk.  The taller the bar, the better that time.  You can click on the day and it will spread the bar graph out so you can see it better, hour by hour.  You can click on a specific hour and it will tell you what the predicted conditions at that time will be.

For example, I see I can run comfortably outside for much of the day today, but I'd like to go around 10 AM.  I can see at 10 AM, WeatherUnderground predicts it will be 54*F with 5 mph winds, humidity at 78%, and only a 2% chance of precipitation.  Sounds pretty good to me!

Of course, it was never any trouble to look at a regular forecast and figure out when I wanted to be outside, but I have enjoyed my Smart Forecasts and thought I'd pass along the info.  Now for more info, in case you are a person who enjoys weather and gadgets...

Two years ago, we joined the WeatherUnderground as an official station.  My husband had wanted to do that for years and I surprised him with a weather station for his birthday.  It was quite easy to set up.  If you have wireless internet at your home and are interested in this, check out this one that was recommended by WeatherUnderground.  We and many other customers have been very satisfied, as evidenced by its high ratings on Amazon.

Ambient Weather WS-1001-WIFI OBSERVER Solar Powered Wireless WiFi Remote Monitoring Weather Station with Solar Radiation and UV

At the time we bought it, it was through WeatherUnderground.  They've got an official buying guide here where they list it and a couple others they recommend.

I hope some of you may have found this information useful!

No comments:

Post a Comment