Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Friday, January 13, 2017

Sacrifice and Appreciation

A couple weeks ago, our pastor reminded us how St. Augustine said that prayer is most powerful when accompanied by sacrifice.  I have Googled for an exact quote, but I can't find one, so I guess if you want to know exactly what St. Augustine said, you'd have to read his writings.  Whether you agree with St. Augustine or not is up to you.  It is not my intention to get into a theological discussion here or in the comment section.

The reason I brought up this idea is because it got me thinking about sacrifice in general.  As a parent, I love my children.  I want to make them happy.  Sometimes they ask me for something, and naturally, I want to give them this thing to see the joy it brings them.

There's nothing wrong with giving gifts now and then.  However, I can't make a habit of giving them everything they want when they want it.  What would I be teaching them if I did?  Would they truly appreciate the gifts they receive?

Don't we all appreciate a bit more the things we have to work for?  Putting in time - sometimes even blood, sweat & tears - to achieve something makes it more precious.

I bet just about every person on SparkPeople would agree that their journey to a healthier lifestyle and weight loss was/is not an easy one.  At times we have all felt tired, discouraged, or even deprived.  It is probably tempting to say, "The heck with it" and go back to old habits.  The challenge during those times is to look at the big picture and try to envision the future result of our sacrifice.  We will eventually get there.  When we do, because of the difficult journey, we will appreciate the achievement that much more!

Last minute addition:  A Facebook friend just posted this motivational quote which is quite relevant.  "Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

No comments:

Post a Comment