Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

The First Day of the Rest of Your Life

A few weeks ago, I became SparkFriends with JannieWannie.  In her bio, she says, "Each day I renew my commitment to my health.  I am willing to invest time and effort into my well-being."

This morning, I read a post on my Facebook newsfeed from a friend (Jenifer P.), who said, "Having big, hairy, scary goals is important, but breaking them down into steps, even daily steps, is also important.  Don't get overwhelmed with the 'bigness' of your big goal.  Stay focused on what you can do today to get you a tiny bit closer.  Spend a few minutes today planning ahead for the week.  What are you eating?  When are you working out?  What are your after school and work activities that could lead you to the drive-thru, and how will you avoid that?  Use today to rest, rejuvenate, and prepare."

SparkPeople's tools and community are a great way to help us prepare each day.

Many of us have heard someone say, "Today is the first day of the rest of your life."  However, as our pastor often reminds us, "EVERY day is the first day of the rest of your life."  That's true.  What has happened before is now in the past.  Remember the wise baboon Rafiki in Disney's Lion King?  "Ah yes, the past can hurt... but you can learn from it."  Every day marks a new opportunity to stay the course or make a change.

If things aren't as you wish they were, see what small changes you can make each day for the better.  If you're in a good place, stay the course... or maybe spread those wings and see if you can soar a little higher.  As OneKidsMom said when she replied to one of my blogs: "Catch the updraft!"

Where will you let the winds of change take you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment