Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Thankful for the Gift of Life

Part of my job as a Director of Music & Liturgy is planning funerals.  Right now I'm in the middle of planning two of them - one of which is tomorrow morning.  It's for a 57-year-old man who lost his battle with cancer.  His wife is roughly my age and a friend of mine.  Funerals like this one really give me pause and make me reflect on things.

This morning, my husband dropped a small container of coffee grounds in the kitchen.  It didn't make too much of a mess, but he was mad at himself for dropping it and was grumbling while cleaning it up.  I said I would do it, and he responded, "Why should you clean up my mess?"

I said, "Because it is bothering you and it wouldn't bother me.  It's not that big of a deal."  

He cleaned it up anyway, because that's the kind of guy he is - taking care of his own mess.  But afterward, I gave him a big, long, tight hug and a kiss and I said, "You know, [our friend] would give anything to be able to simply do anything for her husband right now.  I'm just so glad we're both here."

Our pastor often reminds us to be thankful for the gift of life.  It is such a great gift.  We have to remember not to sweat the small stuff.  Love each other.  Help each other.  That's what's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment