Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Living Honorably

I have been a lifelong fan of Star Trek.  I love imagining what technology might be like in the future.  I love how for over 50 years, the various shows have explored important issues and timeless moral questions.

I love imagining what kind of life might be out there in the vastness of space, and for that reason I especially love learning about the cultures of the different races they create.

One race that fascinates me greatly is the Klingons.  If you don't know what a Klingon looks like, here you go:  This is Worf, the Security Chief from Star Trek:  The Next Generation, and one of my favorite characters.


The Klingon culture is quite violent.  Klingons tend to be quick to anger and settle their differences in an, um, physically aggressive way.  Vengeance is a big part of the Klingon culture and dying in battle (against a worthy opponent) is the ultimate glory.

I've always been fascinated by their code of honor.  It's probably sometimes the only thing that keeps the weaker ones alive, as there is no honor in fighting a weak opponent or someone who is unarmed.  To kill under those circumstances would bring the aggressor great shame, and there is nothing worse to a Klingon than dishonor.  Dishonor is even worse than a natural death outside of battle.

I wouldn't want to live as a Klingon, as I much prefer settling conflicts in a peaceful way (a way that keeps everyone alive!)  However, whenever I watch an episode that focuses on Klingons, I find myself pondering the concept of living honorably within our own society.  What does living honorably mean to me?

Being loving, kind and generous
Remaining calm when dealing with an unpleasant situation
Taking care of my responsibilities cheerfully

When my husband and I were preparing to be married, we went on a weekend retreat for engaged couples.  One thing I remember them asking us was, "What kind of home life do you want to create?  Do you want it to be loving and peaceful?  What can you do to foster that kind of environment?"  I think trying to live honorably helps create that safe, positive environment where my children can learn and grow.

SparkPeople is a similar environment.  There is an abundance of SparkPeople living honorably.  People take the time to share stories, information, and be supportive of others.  Positive attitudes abound, and I don't see anyone complaining about their responsibilities.  I haven't seen snarkiness or an unpleasant or uncomfortable exchange take place.  When I imagine Sparkers dealing with an unpleasant situation in real life, I picture them staying cool.

You may have your own definition of what it means to live honorably.  This is just what it means to me.  Feel free to share your own thoughts and additions in the comments.  Thank you for making SP such a great community.  Or as the Klingons would say...  "Satlho'!"

No comments:

Post a Comment