Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Saturday, January 7, 2017

A Little Jam Goes a Long Way

I've started tracking my food intake again.  It's been a couple years since I did this.  No wonder my weight has slowly creeped back up.  Once I started tracking, I was also appalled at my poor nutrition.  So I started entering my proposed diet of the day into SP to make sure I was getting everything I need.

One of my favorite sandwiches to make again is good for either breakfast or lunch.  If I'm home during the day, I have it at lunchtime, but if I'm going to work, I have it for breakfast.  It's a toasted whole wheat English muffin with 33g of peanut butter and 20g of strawberry jam.

What I have discovered, using my food scale, is that 20g of jam is one heaping teaspoon (not a measuring teaspoon, but the kind you eat with.)

Anyhow, the first time I made this sandwich, I was tempted to glop on another teaspoon "to give it more flavor," but I didn't.

What I discovered was that I could indeed taste the heaping teaspoon of jam.  If I had used double the jam, it would have added extra calories to the sandwich, and I don't think it would have added any extra goodness.  Maybe it would have had a little more jelliness in texture, (I think I just invented a new word, there) but who needs that?

Now I suppose I need to learn that eating extra cookies one after the other doesn't add any extra goodness.  Hmmmm.  That's a blog post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment