Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Spreading Our Wings

Buzzards are probably not considered the most attractive birds out there.  In fact, they look downright creepy sometimes.  I once hit a buzzard as it flew right into the windshield of my pickup truck as I came by.  I remember after my shock and sadness at hitting it, my next thought was, "That is one big, ugly bird."  However, over the years, I have noticed buzzards perched in several places, with their wings spread wide, soaking in the early morning sun.  I see them most often atop the library wing of the middle school, and on the way to work, there is one buzzard who perches in a particular tree on the side of the highway.  They look positively magnificent silhouetted against the sky.

At that moment, they look as beautiful as any eagle.

There's a metaphor there, I think.  Spreading one's wings and trying something new is always a beautiful thing.  Sometimes it can be challenging or even scary.  However, the reward from growing and learning will surely feel as good as the warmth of the morning sunshine.


No comments:

Post a Comment