Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Monday, January 9, 2017

Resisting the Baking Frenzy

As you may know, I've recently begun tracking my nutrition again after a long, long time away.  Boy, was I overeating.  Here's one thing that causes me to struggle with overeating (and eating poorly).

Baking treats for my family.

My kids are older now (15, nearly 18, and 20), but I still love to bake goodies for them and my husband.  However, none of us are terribly good at self-moderation when it comes to goodies, so they disappear rather quickly and then I make more.  Sometimes I make a whole ton of dough at one time.  Sometimes I freeze a lot of it to make at a later date, but other times I just make dozens and dozens of cookies.  My husband refers to these times as my "Baking Frenzies."

I reorganized our pantry a few days ago, and here's what I found on my "baking shelf."


Whoa!  Leading up to Christmas, the stores have those Nestle Winter morsels for sale.  I always buy a bunch because that's the only time of year they sell them.  Normally I'd probably only have 2-3 bags of chips in the pantry.

I don't like clutter, and seeing all those chip bags nearly sent me into another baking frenzy.  However, I resisted.  I didn't make any goodies this week.  This certainly helped with my food choices, but I don't want to go the rest of my life without eating treats.  I'm sure my family doesn't, either.

Perhaps I will make one batch per week and that's it.  Maybe it would help to put them in individual containers for each person so we each have a better idea what we're consuming.  Our kids are fortunate to have inherited our fast metabolisms, but unfortunately some of them seem to have inherited my mindless snacking.  I hope I can help them learn to curb that behavior now so they don't have to struggle with it like I am now.

No comments:

Post a Comment