Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Pepper Spray

I've told you before that my favorite cardio activity is running.  Like many people, I prefer to run outside as opposed to indoors on a treadmill (although I don't dislike that, either.)

A few days ago, I wrote about RunKeeper Go and how it makes me feel safer knowing my family can find where I'm running at any given moment.

Another thing I carry with me is pepper spray.  When a strange dog runs at me, barking and/or growling, I stop and loudly shout, "YOU STAY!  GO HOME!" while pointing the pepper spray right at them as if it were a gun.  Most of the time, that's enough to make them freeze in their tracks or even turn around and leave.  However, a couple of times it wasn't.  The dogs continued to come toward me and I had to spray them.

One of those dogs belonged to one of my nearby neighbors.  This dog had already attacked my elderly next-door neighbor and her little dog while they were walking.  The police and rescue squad came and everything.  I don't know why the family continued to let the dog run loose after that.  However, after I sprayed it, it left me alone.  I've heard the same thing from fellow runners, cyclists, and people who were being harassed in their own yards.  Apparently the dogs learn who they should not mess with.

I've not had to use it on a human and I hope I never have to.  They say you're pretty safe around here as long as your family likes you.  In this area, violent crime tends to be domestic in nature.

I originally bought my pepper spray from a local gun shop, but they quit selling the kind I like, so now I buy it from Amazon.  It's very convenient to carry, as it has a velcro strap that goes around your hand.  This way, you have it at the ready at all times... no fumbling to get it out of your pocket or unclip it from a belt.  It has an expiration date on it, so make sure you buy a new canister from time to time, and of course, in some places, pepper spray is illegal.  I've heard of other people carrying whistles or large sticks when they run/walk.  What do you use?

Sabre Pepper Spray with Adjustable Hand Strap


No comments:

Post a Comment