Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Creatures of Habit

It's a unusually cold, snowy morning in the south as I write this.  The birds are in a feeding frenzy around our feeders.  There are about 30 birds out there, including 6 finches on the thistle seed feeder alone.

We have a large picture window in the family room which provides a great view of the feeders.  I have noticed over the past two years that the feeders experience a flurry of activity at certain times of day.  It's like the birds somehow know it's time for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

A few years ago, I used to listen to Jillian Michaels' daily podcast.  She often talked about taking control of our nutrition by tracking what we eat.  She said it doesn't have to be hard to do because we are creatures of habit.  She said she basically eats only 5 different breakfasts.

I realized that I'm the same way, and not just for breakfast.  There are probably 5 dinners I make often for my family.  I might not make them all every week, but I'm sure we eat those 5 things multiple times every month.

Even SparkPeople realizes this and provides "groupings," "favorites," and "recent" in the daily nutrition tracker.  You can enter your intake quickly when not having to do it item by item every day.  What a great timesaver!

Even the birds, without realizing it, are creatures of habit.  Right now the challenge for me and many other human creatures is... changing our habits.  Stay strong and positive, fellow Sparkers.  We are in control!

No comments:

Post a Comment