Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Lower Sugar Dried Cranberries

I think it's time for another "new food"-related blog entry.

I've been working on getting more fiber in my diet after a few weeks of tracking my nutrition.  One day, I planned to make a new recipe (Cranberry-Quinoa Salad).  I needed Craisins.  Craisins are loaded with added sugar which raises their calorie content, and they're not all that high in fiber.  (I looked at the nutritional information while standing in the grocery aisle.)  But then, I noticed these:


1/3 cup has only 13 grams of sugar, which is half of what's in Craisins.  There are 100 calories per 1/3 cup (40g).  However, the fiber content was most surprising to me.  14 grams of fiber!  I'm not sure why it's so much higher than regular Craisins.  I think regular Craisins had only 3 grams of fiber per 1/4 cup.

I think they taste just as good and they worked fine in the recipe.  They are less sweet, but still delicious.  I have to measure them out so I don't eat the whole bag as a snack in one sitting, but so far, so good.  They get a big thumbs-up from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment