Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Friday, February 24, 2017

You Have Reached the Top of the Mountain!

"You have reached the top of the mountain: performance on the level of .....!"




This was the only line of text in an email I (and 10 others) received early this morning from the man who has organized the "Piano Marathon of Master Amateurs" that will take place at the Gasteig in Munich, Germany next weekend.  The poster promoting our event is next to that of Murray Perahia - an internationally-acclaimed pianist - who will be performing in the same venue two weeks later.  Even though it's not our individual faces on our poster, it's still pretty neat.  The Gasteig is kind of like the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. - a big cultural arts venue.

The "top of the mountain."  It's funny that Eberhard chose this phrase because I was inspired by other Sparkers' beautiful outdoor pictures to share a few of my own. 

We live in the shadow of the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia.  From our house, it's about a 25-minute drive to get to the Peaks of Otter.  This past Sunday, my daughter and I hiked "Sharp Top."

We parked further away than normal - at the country store next to the visitor's center - because the parking lot and grassy area at the trailhead was completely packed.  According to RunKeeper, it's about 1.72 miles to the summit with 1,237 feet of ascent.  There are a lot of easier trails at the Peaks, so why is this one so popular?  Why do we do it?

We often choose the hardest path because of the payoff at the end.


Sometimes we might not make our goal, but there is always something to be gained by trying.  We just need to keep doing our best!


Some of you who know me well know that I've been a little anxious about my upcoming performances - worrying about my tendinitis and that my program isn't difficult enough compared to my peers.  However, I need to forget about that and focus on what I love about my musical journey.  When I practice and play these masterworks, it feels GOOD.  It feels good to learn, and try, and grow.  

Whatever mountain we're each trying to climb, let us focus on the beauty of the journey and the payoff we receive every step of the way!








No comments:

Post a Comment