Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Munich Piano Marathon

Home, sweet Home!

We're back after spending four full days in Munich.  We went because I was invited to play a piano recital at the Gasteig in Munich.  It's a huge cultural venue, much like the Kennedy Center in D.C.  So of course I jumped at the chance and accepted!

I played the first of eleven recitals over the course of 3 evenings.  It was billed as a "Pianomarathon."  Here I am in the subway after my recital with fellow pianists Deirbhile Brennan (from Ireland) and Jorge Zamora (from Mexico.)  Those pink posters on the wall are promoting our Pianomarathon event.
We played in the Kleiner Konzertsaal, which literally means "small concert hall."  It seats 200 people.  I couldn't believe I played to a full audience - that there were 200 people in this city across the world who were interested to hear me play.  Every seat was filled.  You just don't find that in America.  The people who couldn't get in had to listen in the lobby on closed-circuit television.  Before my final piece, I spoke and thanked them for coming.  I talked about what it's like to re-enter the world of performing after being away for so long and having a job and family.  I told them sometimes my children come in the room while I'm practicing and ask for help with homework or how to cook dinner.  It's almost easier for me to play while talking at the same time.  I said if they wanted to get up and dance during the Hungarian Rhapsody like my kids did when they were little, to go right ahead!  I'd feel right at home.

Here's what a sell-out crowd looks like from the performer's point of view.  I took this from the backstage door after Jorge finished his recital.  The audiences were SO enthusiastic.  They clapped forever for every performer!  I don't know how many times I bowed.  Even between pieces.  I've never experienced anything like it.

After every recital, we performers congregated in the lobby area, and were greeted by those in attendance.  Here is Matthias Fischer of Germany after his performance.  At the right of the picture, you can sort of see the queue to get into the hall for the next recital (Julien Kurtz of France).

This was the fifth year of the Pianomarathon, and apparently the biggest success to date.  The organzier, Eberhard, seemed especially enthusiastic about my performance, so I hope he invites me back.  It was wonderful to see so many Cliburn competitors again.  Here we all are at a reception after the second night of performances.
In case anyone is interested to know who we are, from left to right:
Michael Slavin (USA), Sean Sutherland (St. Vincent/Grenadines), Xavier Aymonod (France), Julien Kurtz (France), Eberhard Zagrosek (Germany, concert organizer), Deirbhile Brennan (Ireland), Matthias Fischer (Germany), Jeanne Backofen Craig (USA), Gregory Knight (USA), Ken Iisaka (Japan/Canada), Carl Di Casoli (USA), Jorge Zamora (Mexico)

Up next... in May, I will play Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue with my kids' high school Wind Symphony, which is a very fine group.  I am so excited that I can hardly wait for May 16th to get here.  Olympic Swimmer Dara Torres who won a silver medal at the age of 40 said, "Never put an age limit on your dreams."  If you know The Lord of the Rings, you've heard Gandalf say all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.  After 25 years away from performance, I don't want to waste a minute.  I feel so lucky to have the opportunity to continue to learn and grow, with the added bonus of making others happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment