Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Friday, February 10, 2017

"The Scale Is Wrong"

This morning, I am pondering a question.  How can you weigh more upon awakening (and after "emptying" yourself, to put it nicely) than you did when you went to bed?

I don't usually weigh myself at night, but last night I did.  Then this morning, I was 2 pounds heavier.

I'm sure I didn't really gain 2 pounds overnight, but it makes me wonder where they came from.

I'm reminded of back in 1996 when I had my first son.  I weighed in at the doctor's office at 130 pounds.  He confirmed that I was in labor and off I went to the hospital.  I had my 7-pound son.  Three days later (it was a c-section), as the nurses were preparing my paperwork so I could be released, they weighed me again.  130.  I exclaimed, "HOW can I still be 130 pounds?  That's impossible!  I just had a 7-pound baby!"

My doctor showed up a little while later and I asked him.  His answer?

"The scale is wrong."

That satisfied me.

Years later, I realized he was probably just telling a postpartum mother exactly what she wanted to hear.  In all likelihood, the scale was right.  I was probably retaining fluid as a result of the surgery and who knows what else.

You can't deny reality.

I know my scale upstairs is not wrong and I understand that weight fluctuates, but I sure do wonder where those 2 overnight pounds came from.  It is a mystery to me.  Therefore, both informed and speculative comments are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment