Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Lonely Beans at The SuperCenter

I had to make a quick trip to Wal-Mart before heading home after church this past Sunday.  I headed for the food section and oh. my. goodness.  What on earth?  The snack food aisle was mobbed.  So was the beer aisle.  Luckily, I was not there to buy those things, because I bet I couldn't have gotten through.  Then I realized why.

Super Bowl Sunday.
Aha.

Since we weren't planning to watch the Super Bowl, I headed to the bean (canned vegetable) aisle.  The aisle was empty.  There was NOBODY buying beans but me.

I thought about the poor, lonely canned black beans.  Nobody wanted them.  A quick google of "the health benefits of black beans" yields a quick, neat summary.

"The beans are actually the edible seeds of the legume plant. Like other legumes such as peanuts, peas and lentils, black beans are prized for their high protein and fiber content. They also contain several other key vitamins and minerals that are known to benefit human health."

Well, with super qualities like that, they should be flying off the shelves, shouldn't they?

We eat black beans approximately once per week.  My family loves the two recipes I'll share with you here.
Quinoa & Black Beans
Black Bean & Corn Burritos

Maybe I'll see a few of you in the bean aisle soon!  Toot toot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment