Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

You're Never "Over the Hill"

Recently, my children's high school band director invited guest conductors to work with their bands for over 10 hours of rehearsal from 4 PM Friday to 3 PM Saturday as they prepare for Concert Assessment.  For the final hour, parents are invited to an Open House where they can roam from room to room and hear the result of the students' hard work.

The conductor of the Wind Symphony told the teens to continue to play their instrument throughout their lives.  He told them that most cities and towns have opportunities for people to play - like a community orchestra or band.  He said he knows a few guys over the age of 80 who still enjoy playing in a group.

I leaned over to my husband and I said, "I guess you're never 'over the hill' as long as you have somewhere to climb."

I think it's important for us to continue have goals that we try to reach as we age.  We might not be able to do quite what we used to, as all kinds of things can happen.  I've spent a lot of time visiting nursing homes during the last few years.  There is a real difference in the quality of life between those who are able to keep exercising their minds by working puzzles, reading, playing cards, bird-watching, and attending social events.  Those who are able walk the halls or work out in the physical therapy room.

We don't know what life has in store for any of us, and we might reach a point where we are unable to do much of anything.  But unless (or until) that happens, let's always strive to be on the "up" side of the hill!

No comments:

Post a Comment