Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Distraction

I remember the first time I played a grand piano.  I was 7 years old and in a competition.  I was mesmerized by the reflection of my hands in the fallboard, much like this:


Then I noticed - looking through the crack between the music desk and the piano - that I could see the hammers coming up and striking the strings.  I noticed how the dampers stayed up when I pushed the damper pedal.  I had never seen how a piano actually works, so this was fascinating.

I played my entire Clementi Sonatina while looking at the hammers and the reflection of my hands.  I don't think I ever looked at the actual keys.  Fortunately, I played well, as I knew the Sonatina so well that I was able to play it on autopilot.  I won.

When I was at Cliburn last summer, my first competition in 25 years, I was super distracted by, ironically, the silence of the room.  During my performance of a Bach fugue, I thought, "I bet I could literally hear a pin drop in here."  Then I thought to myself, "I probably ought to think about what I'm doing."

So we don't even need outside distractions.  Our own thoughts can distract us, as we often have a lot of responsibilities to take care of that are in the back of our minds.  How many times have you driven somewhere and then thought, "I don't remember any of the drive at all."  (I hope I'm not the only one.)

Did you see the movie "Up?"


SQUIRREL!!!!!

Like the dog in "Up," my husband would say that is me sometimes.  In the middle of a conversation, he can tell if I'm suddenly not listening anymore.

I don't think I have Attention Deficit Disorder, as there are plenty of times I'm able to focus on a task.  However, sometimes a new thought enters my brain and I find myself thinking of the "wrong thing."

I've got a busy brain.  I'm glad about that, as it makes life interesting, but I admire those who are able to focus for a long time on a singular task with great concentration.

No comments:

Post a Comment