Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Friday, March 17, 2017

Do Not Squander Time

For the past few days, I've been dealing with pain in my left hand.  I went to my GP today and she brought the sports doc in.  Diagnosis:  Stress fracture of the fifth metacarpal.  NOT what a concert pianist (who has an engagement to play Rhapsody in Blue in 61 days) wants to hear.

Now, the good news.  I have two pieces of good news.
1.  I should be fine fairly soon.  Hopefully pain-free in two weeks.
2.  I have already gotten Rhapsody ready and, if I were not injured, I could perform it today.

So hopefully I'll heal and two months from today, on May 16th, I'll be making people happy playing Gershwin.  However, I don't really know that for sure, and I got to thinking... what would I do if I couldn't play piano like this any more?  It's such a huge part of who I am.  This is ironic, considering how as a child, my mother (Brooklyn_Born) had to force me to practice.

I have every reason to be hopeful that this isn't a life-changing injury, but it does make me wish a little bit that I hadn't wasted so much time in my youth.  It makes me a little sorry that I spent so may years away from performing.

The next time I don't feel like going to the gym or running, I will go.  Instead of sitting around and randomly surfing the Internet out of boredom, I will do something productive.

I have to remember not to squander time.  That's all any of us have, really... and like Gandalf said in Lord of the Rings, all we can do is decide what to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment