Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Thursday, March 9, 2017

A Breakfast Revelation in Germany

My husband and I ate breakfast four times in Germany.  On the afternoon of the second day, as we were walking around the city centre, I remarked to my husband, "It's already 11:00 and I'm not hungry at all."  He said he wasn't, either.

We ate a very European breakfast each day.  Cold cuts, an egg, cheese (camembert), brown bread (very dense), jam, yogurt, fruit, and coffee.  This is very different from what we normally eat at home.  Normally, DH eats a bowl of toasted oat cereal (they look like Cheerios.)  He gets no protein at all, and by 9 AM, he's really hungry.  I do a little better in terms of protein - I usually have an English muffin with peanut butter and blackberry jam.  Even so, I'm usually hungry by mid-morning.

So today I decided to eat a German breakfast.  I keep cold cuts and hard boiled eggs in the fridge all the time for lunches, so I had everything.

2 slices of ham, 1 slice of turkey.  A piece of wheat bread (toasted) with some butter and jam, yogurt, and coffee.  So far it's 12:30 AM and I'm not hungry.

I need to go to the grocery store today, so I think I will pick up some brie or camembert, and some dense brown bread.  Every time I've ever come back from Europe, we swear we're going to continue eating like they do, but we always fall back into our American habits.  This time, I'm really going to try to make it stick.  I think it's just a matter of not buying cereal and remembering to buy dense bread.  I've got everything else.  As long as I don't have to cook & clean up anything in the morning, it should be easy, right?  We will see.

(I should also say I greatly enjoy American hot breakfast food as well, but when a person works, it's really not convenient to get up early and cook, and then have to clean up.  So when we have pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs, etc. it's usually "breakfast for supper.")

No comments:

Post a Comment