Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Friday, March 24, 2017

Lifting a Mother's Spirit

"A Mother Is Only as Happy as Her Unhappiest Child."  It's something my mother, Brooklyn_Born, once said years ago and I've never forgotten it.

First, let me reassure you that nothing is wrong at home.  We've got three kids, ages 15, 18, and nearly 21.  My 18-year-old had a massive amount of homework last night.  He's in an early college program, so it's quite demanding.  I look at what he does and I can't believe someone so smart came from me.  (For the record, I think I am fairly intelligent, but my son is a whole lot smarter than I'll ever be.)

Anyhow, he got up a bit late this morning, I'm guessing because he was up late finishing his work.  He didn't seem sad, exactly, but just tired and resigned to that fact.  He's 18.  I know that legally he's a young adult, but he is still my baby to me.  I hate to see him so tired.  I found myself missing the days of old, when he'd get up at age 4, bright-eyed and excited to go to preschool.  I felt a little sad that he isn't happily going out into the world to experience a new day, like he did when he was young.

I know this feeling is temporary and as soon as I get started about my business for the day, it will pass.  I am sure once my son gets to school and sees his friends, it will likely be the same for him.  That helps me feel a bit better.  However - as Brooklyn_Born and I both know - in the end, his life is his and mine is mine.  While we could try to fix things or help a person feel happier, in the end, that person's state of mind is up to them, and ours is up to us.  Sometimes we can overcome our sadness by busying ourselves with work or hobbies.  Some people pray or meditate.  Others exercise.  For some, it takes medication or therapy.  I bet most of us do these things in combination to relieve the stressful feeling of sadness.

So, off I go to work.  I will have a nice run later in the warm spring sunshine.  I will make a nice dinner.   I will give my husband and kids hugs and kisses when they return home from their day.  Just thinking about that already helps to lift my spirits.

No comments:

Post a Comment