Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Thursday, June 1, 2017

"Champions Don't Have Time to Procrastinate"

It's 3 PM and I'm sitting in line at the DMV waiting to register the car we just bought last night.  I work in town so I actually came around lunchtime first, on my lunch hour.  The line just to get a number was 8 people out the door!  I've been in crowded DMVs before, but that was a first.

Then I remembered it's the last day of the month.  I bet a lot of people have waited until the last minute to renew their tags and their licenses.  So I headed back to work.  After work, I came back to see what it was like.  At least now the line to get my number at the information window was only about 6 people long, and all inside the building.

So here I sit, waiting for my number to be called, pondering the phenomenon of procrastination.

I guess it's a form of denial.  "If I pretend this doesn't need to happen, maybe it will go away."

I'd say that most of the time, whatever it is doesn't just magically go away.

(My number was called here, and I finished the rest of my blog today - the morning after.)

I'm pretty good at not procrastinating when it comes to my responsibilities, but I'm not always the greatest about non-critical things - like weeding the garden.  If I'm tired, it's easy to dismiss it and say, "I'll get to it later."

However, when I do get to those things later, often they're even harder to deal with than if I had just done it in the first place.  The weeds didn't stop growing while I rested and pretended they weren't there.

It's the same with our health.  When we're tired, it's easy to just grab fast food or skip a workout, figuring we'll get back on track later.   But of course, the decision to procrastinate only makes things harder for us in the long run.

On that note, I suppose I better put on my running clothes and get out the door, even though it would be much more cozy to curl up here on the sofa with my laptop and a cup of coffee.  Whatever your plan for the day, just do it!  Spark on, everyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment