Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Inspiration from Rashad Jennings

If you are an NFL or Dancing with the Stars fan, you probably know who Rashad Jennings is.  He is an NFL running back, most recently playing for the NY Giants.  Then a couple of weeks ago, he won the mirrorball trophy on Dancing with the Stars.  He was absolutely terrific.

Some of you may know that Rashad is from Forest, Virginia.  This is where I live, and I was Rashad's elementary school music teacher from grades 2 through 4.


I wish I could take credit for his dancing ability ("I taught him to sway in time to Row, Row, Row Your Boat!!") but I really can't.  However, I can say that he was a fine boy who always worked hard in music class to play those Orff instruments the best he could.  He was quite good.

I would never have guessed that the little boy sitting on the floor of my music classroom would become a celebrity.  I bet he could not have guessed, either.  If you read his story, you will see his secret to success is his faith, his work ethic, and his kind and generous heart.

At the end of the last NFL season, he was unfortunately let go by the Giants.  He could have despaired and moped around, but he didn't.  He decided to take a risk and try something brand new.  Ballroom dancing.  And on television in front of millions of people.  The result was that America fell in love with Rashad Jennings.  Now he can serve as an inspiration to even more people than he did before.

It's good to get out of our comfort zone and try something new or even a little scary.  Lets look to Rashad's example and believe in ourselves.  We can bring joy and serve people we would never have met before.  

Let's explore our own potential and reach for the stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment