Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Thursday, April 13, 2017

The Long Haul

Last night, April 12th, was a milestone day for our family.  Our second son officially became an Eagle Scout.  Here he is with my husband.


He's a senior in high school and has been in scouting since the first grade.  That's twelve years, moving through the ranks all the way from Tiger to Eagle.

I remember the day when, out of the blue, he told me he wanted to do that.  He was about 8 or 9 years old.  I'm not sure he really had any idea how much work that would be, but I did.  I saw all those "big boys" in the Boy Scout troop and I could hardly envision my little boy as a young man with all the skills that they had.  His father and I both understood what a huge accomplishment Eagle is and how it can open a lot of doors for these young men down the road.  So, we did everything we could to encourage him.

The journey wasn't always smooth.  One reason why only 4 percent of scouts ever attain Eagle rank is because in their teen years, they discover the "3 Gs."  Gas, Green, and Girls.  My son was no different.  There were times that we had to stay on him and remind him of his goal.  There were times where he didn't seem to care too much if he became an Eagle, and so it was up to us, his parents who love him, to help him see that he was already so close and he had to keep going.  We knew if he didn't finish, one day he'd be kicking himself.

I remember one time in particular - saying, "Look, we've got a few different scenarios."

  1. We nag you.  You resent us now, but later on you'll thank us.
  2. We do nothing.  You don't get Eagle, and for the rest of your life, you'll ask us, "I was so close!  Why didn't you push me to finish?"

I told him neither of those scenarios was too appealing to us, as we'd come out as the bad guys either way.  So I presented him with a third "winning" scenario:

You decide you want it, and you do it, and everyone is happy.

It's not only hard for children and teenagers to see the big picture and stay motivated.  It's hard for all of us.  I've stalled in my weight loss journey because I've become complacent.  I think to myself, "Oh, I look pretty good.  I'm at a perfectly healthy weight."  However, the reality is most of my pants still don't fit.  The reality is if I had been more careful about my diet the past four months, I'd be at my goal right now and wouldn't be kicking myself.

I have to practice what I preached to my son that day.  I have to decide I want it... and just do it!

My son reached the summit of what was a very long haul - 12 years of working toward a goal.  My weight loss should take me what... 2-3 months, tops?  Compared to him, that's a mini haul!  Certainly I can do it.

I will have to share this blog entry with my Eagle Scout.  He has recently gotten into weightlifting and fitness, so I am sure that he will be glad to turn the tables and help me stay on track.  What teen wouldn't enjoy the chance to (rightly) nag their mother?  However, I hope that I, like my son, can choose "Winning Scenario Number 3" and achieve my goal with happiness and pride all the way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment