Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Monday, October 3, 2016

Us and Them - on Social Media

Last Sunday, my husband preached a homily - "Us and Them."  It was about our failure to recognize everyone as brothers and sisters.  We classify people - by race, religion, political affiliation, and so on.  First and foremost, we see the differences.  

I know none of this is new.  Division and discord between human beings has been well-documented since ancient times, and they say the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Lately I have not enjoyed reading Facebook.  It makes me sad or angry.  I'm starting to see too many people I know as "them."  The things they say make me wonder how we can be friends at all.  Are we friends?

Then I realized two things.
It's easier to like people you don't know well.  
It's easier to like people when you don't know what they are thinking all the time.  

I'm called to love all people and see them as my brothers and sisters.  I'm not sure what the answer is.  Temporarily, I have unfollowed a whole lot of people.  I hope in time I can forget the things I have read.  Right now, I'm just not feeling the love.  And that makes me sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment