Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

With an Oink Oink Here and an Oink Oink There

I went to walk at the track with my daughter after dinner yesterday evening.  As we approached the elementary school, I remarked, "Oh great, there's a dog on the loose."  As soon as I said the word "dog," I realized it was NOT a dog.  It was a large pig, complete with tusks.

There's a farm next door to the elementary school, and my daughter informed me that now and then, different animals get loose and crash their marching band practices.  (They rehearse on the field inside the track.)  I remember when I taught in a classroom trailer at that school 20 years ago, I'd periodically have to chase animals away, too.  I once looked up to find a goat standing in the open doorway of my music classroom.

Having lived in a rural area for 25 years, I've gotten used to assisting animals back home.  Several cows.  A miniature horse.  A regular horse.  I even helped an owner get her bull back in her pasture once.  (That one was a little scary.)

The pig headed toward the rather busy road in front of the school, so we ran after it, picked up long sticks, and headed it off.  I had my RunKeeper app going, so it recorded the whole crazy route as we tried to herd it back home... with an oink oink here and and oink oink there.  Eventually it crawled under its owner's fence in the woods.  Last we saw, it was happily munching grass at home.

And here you have the crazy route.

No comments:

Post a Comment