Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Breakfast Inspiration at SparkPeople

90% of the time, I log in to SparkPeople using my laptop, rather than the app on my phone.  Usually I ignore the videos playing in the sidebar, but yesterday a recipe video from Eggland's Best caught my eye.  I'm glad I watched it because I can't find the video anywhere - at SP or on the EB site.  Even though I don't remember the exact amounts to use, I remembered the ingredients.  Here ya go:

One mini naan bread (which I found in the bakery breads section at Kroger)
Cream cheese (I used whipped cream cheese/greek yogurt)
grape tomatoes (cut in half)
fresh mozzarella (cut up)
fresh basil leaves (I tore them into smaller pieces)
salt/pepper  (a few sprinkles)
1 egg

Preheat the oven to 400* (I think).  Spread the cream cheese on the bread.  Top with tomatoes, mozzarella, basil.  Sprinkle with salt & pepper.  Break an egg over the top of it.  Bake until the egg is cooked.

Here's a picture:

It really is quite good and it wasn't much trouble to make.  More importantly, it's also not any trouble to clean up, as I just have to scrape the baking stone clean.

Some notes from my first attempt:
I wasn't sure if the video had said 350* or 400*, so I did 375*.  One thing I *did* remember, however, is that it said to bake it for 10 minutes.  10 minutes at 375 was not enough - the egg was not cooked at all.  So I turned up the heat to 400* and baked it another 4 minutes.  It still didn't look quite done.  I wound up going another 2 minutes.  Not sure.  So another 2 minutes.  I think it actually might have been ready 2 minutes prior to that, but it still tasted just fine.

Nutritional Information:
The mini naan bread has 150 calories.
The egg has 70 calories.
1 ounce of mozzarella has 80 calories.
2 Tablespoons of whipped cream cheese/greek yogurt has 45 calories.
Basil & tomato calories are quite minimal.

So overall, this seems like a pretty good breakfast to me.  It has a little bit of everything and the protein/fat/carb ratio (at my estimation) seems like a good balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment