Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Not as Nice to My Husband

One of my favorite things about Fresh Market is their selection of specialty chocolate bars.  I don't shop there often, so when I do, I usually pick up a goodie for each family member.  Yesterday I had 5 assorted chocolate bars in my cart, and I headed for the checkout.  I thought about how much I love my husband and three children and I enjoy being nice by bringing them a treat.

Then something occurred to me.  I flipped my husband's bar over.  It's 2.5 servings in a bar at 190 calories per serving.  Now, these are rather large bars and he probably would eat it in 2-3 servings.  However, he recently got back from a 2-week backpacking trip where he lost a good inch on his waist, and he has mentioned that he would like to keep it that way.

I realized that maybe it wasn't so "nice" of me to bring him this candy bar with an extra 475 junk calories that he didn't need in his weekly diet.

So I said to myself, "I probably shouldn't be quite so 'nice' to my husband."  I put our two candy bars back, and instead bought a little single-wrapped peppermint patty for him and a dark chocolate salted caramel for myself.  The calorie count for that serving was much lower than the chocolate bar.  Plus, once it's gone, it's gone.  No leftovers to tempt us.

I know I could have bought nothing for all of us, but as I said, I don't shop at Fresh Market often, and neither my husband nor I believe in total denial.

In many cultures, providing lots of yummy food for consumption is a sign of love.  However, there are plenty of other ways to love and support our family and friends - including simply providing a little less food!  I'm glad I was able to step back and realize that what I initially thought of as being a "nice thing" to do would really only sabotage my husband's goal.  Hopefully he'll keep his belt on its new notch and I will continue to think twice when choosing treats to bring home.

No comments:

Post a Comment