Jeanne Backofen Craig

I'm a wife, mother, pianist, and runner living in Central Virginia.
You can learn more about me at wecraig.org/jeanne.
My videos can be found on my YouTube channel.

Monday, July 17, 2017

My Little Portion

If you ever want to feel your blood pressure go down, just spend some time talking to a Franciscan.

A young woman from our church entered the religious life several years ago, and every summer when she comes home for a visit with her parents, I am struck by how calm and happy and worry-free she is.  I've met several Franciscan nuns and friars since then, and they've all got the same serenity.  Last summer, my husband and I spent a few days at a Franciscan retreat center and it was very life-giving.

I'm not unhappy.  I'm happy, but it can be a tense kind of happiness at times.  I guess that's mainly because I'm quite busy.  I've always got stuff going on in the back of my mind, thinking about what needs to be done and also what I'd simply like to do.  I'm sure many others are the same way.

Today Sister said something to the congregation that I have pondered all day.  When you're feeling stressed out, just follow the example of Saint Francis and see what is your "little portion."  You don't have to do everything.  What is the little portion that you are called to do?

I could expound more upon this, but then I think I'd be going beyond my little portion.

So I think I'm simply going to throw this out there and share it in a simple way.

Don't try to do everything.  Let others help.  What's your little portion?

No comments:

Post a Comment